Friday, October 19, 2012

The Destiny of Things: The Red Plate Special

The Destiny of Things:  The Red Plate Special, Story I

As with  most good things in my life, it just comes to me, like walking by a stranger who is passing out flyers.  Do I take it or just keep on walking?  If I take it, do I read it or put it away?  If I read it, is the message so unexpected or so "not the norm" I automatically put it in my pocket?  Or do I put it in my pocket thinking that's a good idea and forget to act on it?  Or is the message too fearful, difficult or unlikely?  Do I think this isn't a good time and it will come again or do I procrastinate until it's gone?  I have countless more excuses up my sleeve,  but not this time!  I got the message on it's second "appearance" and it's been immensely helpful to my HoarderRehab adventure---so simple, yet still hard for me to believe--- the solutions are coming in such a relaxed manner and are easy for me to learn!  I am so thankful for the two accidental acts of kindness that have flooded into a river of  miracles! I didn't think these two little happy hints would turn into such a joyous lake so quickly!

The first two stories of where my hoarded loved items were destined happened right out of the blue.  Someone was so excited about them, they just automatically blurted out their joy and story.  Here is the first one:

When someone ordered the Red Plate Special, I was so excited about letting it go that I immediately started to pack it and get it out of my sight before I could change my mind about it!  (even though it was being paid by check!)  While I was packing it, I noticed a flea bite nick on the back of it that I didn't include in the listing.  I immediately emailed her and told her about it and asked if she still wanted it.  Secretly, I thought I might not have to let it go!

The flea bite is at the top in the middle towards the right.  I hadn't noticed when I listed it.  Oopsy!

She replied back quickly and said she was replacing hers of 30 years with mine and hers was worn too.  I was so surprised at her reaction.  She still wanted the plate!  And then she added that her granddaughter Isabel would be happy to see it too.  I was so thrilled it was going to make two people happy and packed it right away to send to her.

When she received her plate this is what she emailed me:

"It was so much fun opening the package from you . I moved some of the paper stuffing out of the way and there it was, my beautiful red plate! Lots of memories came flooding back as soon as I saw it. Birthdays, graduations, and a letter of acceptance to college for my son. And years later, the birth of his daughter Isabel, all occasions celebrated with a piece of chocolate cake served on his You Are Special Today plate! And also Isabel's tears when, as a five year old , celebrating her first day of kindergarten, she dropped it and it shattered, as she helped me clear the table. I can't wait to see her face when she comes to my house next week, and sees the plate, sitting in its place of honor, on it's shelf in my kitchen. Full circle. So, once again, thank you. And thanks also for her gifts. She will use the erasers this year in school, and she loves to jump rope. She payed Floppsy in Peter Rabbit, her school play this year, and jumped rope on stage. So, very appropriate for Izzy! Take care. Best wishes."

That was one of my first more painless good byes!  This was a whole lot more doable when I knew where the item was going and especially knowing how much joy it was causing outside of myself!  The plate certainly wasn't giving me that much happiness, at least not anymore!  It had been sitting at the bottom of my plate stack all these years, except whenever a long lost friend would drop by and request this plate with her meal, but  I hadn't seen her for the past three years.  So the plate reminded me how I should reconnect with her.  After I had reconciled with that, then even more memories backdated to the plate came over me. It had been a  gift from another long lost friend for a momentous occasion that ended terribly.  All that went away when I put both long lost friends on my writing letter list to reconnect at a later time.  I felt relief and reassurance that they were no longer lost or forgotten!

Now the plate held new and special memories, as past ones got revisted and reconciled!
So off the plate went, much more easily and happily than I ever thought!  And then less than a week later.....another person blurted out their joy with their order!

If you would like to see more pics and read the original listing with it's serendipity to chocolate cake, just click here:  VintageToGoetsy  What are the chances of serendipity with chocolate cake?  How did this plate make it's own destiny?

Thank you for taking part in my HoarderRehab!


No comments:

Post a Comment